Monday, February 10, 2014

Get Fit: Get Running

G'day darlings!

I'm really happy to be linking up again for the Get Fit, Feel Confident, Be Healthy linkup with Brittany and Sam, especially since I missed last week, whoops!



I'm overjoyed to report that last week I ran my first mile in ages! It's a huge deal for me considering the fact that I'm NOT a runner, and I have some health issues that I always thought would prevent me from running ever again. With the help and motivation of my friends, I've started running again, and just a few days ago I ran 1.25 miles! I'm hoping to do a 5k soon and then build up from there.

Some of you may be in a similar boat that I was in just a few weeks ago, well let me tell you friends, getting into that running groove is easier that you might think! I'll share with you how I got to be a little running addict!

1. Begin with intervals. I was in no shape to go out and run a solid 20 minutes, goodness, even 2 minutes was a lot for me when I first started! Get on the treadmill (or go outside) and start with a good 5-10 minute warm up, walking at a brisk pace. From there, try jogging/running at a medium effort (not sprinting but not jogging super slowly) for 60 seconds, then walk for 2 minutes, and repeat. I would do this type of interval for 12-15 minutes, then end with a 5 minute cool down. Try doing this for a week or so, then increase your running time by 30 seconds each week, and your total workout time should increase also. If you're feeling good, try upping the time even more, and if you can, decrease your recovery time (walking) in between intervals.

2. Crank up the tunes! At the gym, especially when I'm running, I listen to very upbeat and fun music, stuff that I normally don't listen to but it gets me in the zone : )

3. Cross train. I can't say this enough, every once in a while you need to get off the treadmill, or the streets (lol) and do something different. Two switch things up, I'll bike, use the elliptical (which is my least favorite), or I'll do a HIIT workout. Cross training will help you build your endurance, and it'll give some muscles a rest. In addition, I also lift weights, no, it will not make you bulky.

4. Stretch. After every single workout, I make sure that I cool my body down properly and stretch. It might be boring and tough at first, but things become more fun once your flexibility improves, plus your body will thank you!


I hope that these simple tips help you get started on the running bandwagon!

2 comments:

  1. I've been running at least a mile every day when I first get to the Y! I'm hoping to run a 5k in honor of pancreatic or lung cancer by the end of this year! We can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've become the WORST at cross training since I started running more... I didn't know running could make me lazier but I think it has! Ha!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS